*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Book Of Shadows

Start your own thread named "[Name's] Book of Shadows" and add spells, rituals, correspondences, music, videos, etc. that you would like to keep for future use or share with others. Use as many posts as you'd like. It's not private, but at least your family won't see it. You can also get ideas from other people's Books of Shadows.

Book Of Shadows

Postby Moon Petal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:51 am

I understand the importance of having one but the thought of having to write down rituals, spells, or general feelings about my journey just seems like a pain to me. Is it okay not to have one?
Moon Petal

Re: Book Of Shadows

Postby Xiao Rong » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:18 am

You don't have to create one if you don't want to, but at some point along the way you might find it useful to keep records (if nothing else, because you want to do the same ritual again!). There are a lot of potential ways to have a BoS that might be simpler for starting out -- yes, it CAN be really exhausting to keep up with a physical grimoire that you have to write and illustrate by hand. Keep your mind open to easy ways to keep records. For some people, it's a Word document on their computer (mine is a series of Word documents on Dropbox). I've even seen it done via Tumblr or a Pinterest board.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:10 am

Your grimoire can just hold things you might want to remember later. A short cut is making bullet points to catch the thought. You could use recipe cards to record spells & they're quickly filed by purpose like prosperity, power, protection. Put ingredients on one side of the card and the procedure on the other, just using bullet-point notes. if you have a photographic memory you don't need a grimoire.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Moon Petal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I may change my mind but for right now I don’t feel compelled to start one.
Moon Petal

Postby SpiritTalker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 pm

And that's perfectly OK.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to Member's Books of Shadows