*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM


Body art and Tattoo's

Share photos or links to your arts and crafts here. Jewelry, paintings, crafts, graphic art.

Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Shekinah » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:09 am

I am sure to catch a lot of flack by this thread however body art is a very popular thing in our current culture and pros and cons need to be discussed.

Never forget that as a Pagan, Wiccan or Witch we consider the body our temple where-in we reside and function while on earth. Also keep in mind the power of a Sigil when considering a tattoo. Is the concept imparted by a particular piece of art what you really want influencing your astral body, aura and health?

As a practical matter influencing career decisions body art may well disqualify you from many high level positions. I know throughout our Intelligence Community we do not hire anyone for certain positions who have body art. In our psychological and human reliability assessment a tattoo and piercing is looked upon as a character defect. A tattoo for example tags your identity for anyone who might be targeting you and lights up in night-vision scopes. In combat or accidental trauma involving fire a tattoo will absorb flash heat to potentiate burn wounds. In diplomatic circles many otherwise seemingly benign art tattoos may be deemed extremely offensive to foreign observers and may well determine your fate. A Christian cross will get you killed in some Islamic circles.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
User avatar
Shekinah
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:16 am
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Lady_Lilith » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:55 am

I do not think tattoos disqualify people from high positions. They will just want them covered. Tattoos are over 5000 years old and recorded everywhere on this planet. People should stop stigmatizing it and judging people by how they look. Same with piercings though I understand they are unsafe for certain positions.
"Often I will spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me. What am I?" -Sloth
User avatar
Lady_Lilith
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: 9th layer of the underworld
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby YanaKhan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Lady_Lilith wrote:I do not think tattoos disqualify people from high positions. They will just want them covered. Tattoos are over 5000 years old and recorded everywhere on this planet. People should stop stigmatizing it and judging people by how they look. Same with piercings though I understand they are unsafe for certain positions.

Ditto.

I also believe a tattoo can be used as a protective or empowering symbol.
I do, however, think one should really be certain before getting a tattoo. Not only because of the job prospective. And also, people should consider the health risk of getting ink.
When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!
No battle is over until I win!
"Imagination creates reality". Richard Wagner
User avatar
YanaKhan
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:19 am
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby SnowCat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Every one of my tattoos has a meaning. And I have Picts in my ancestry. I see plenty of military personnel who are stationed at Buckley AFB, who have tattoos. I have also met plenty of people stationed at Peterson AFB, who have tattoos and display them at the Renaissance Festival in Larkspur. People who work in high security areas.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
User avatar
SnowCat
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5675
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 am
Location: The Spirals
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Shekinah » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Not a problem for most people. Just forwarding a heads up for some. There are many occupations that will not consider anyone with a tattoo for some positions and the CIA screening guidelines do consider it a character defect.(Why? because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum) Today's military are having difficulty recruiting so they are much more lenient. Even so, in the military a tattoo is not wise in Special Operations or black programs where foreign intelligence may be tracking you. They serve no function beyond body art. It can be used to identify an individual and from a distance is an infrared and starlight signature. In burn wounds we often see deeper tissue damage throughout a tattoo.

While working with a Dermatology practice I have removed a few with laser and it is expensive and traumatic and most always leaves residual scar evidence even when the newer erasable inks have been used. So why do it? vanity? to be one of the crowd? to make a statement? Of course folks are free to do with their body as they will. There are more negative then positive connotations to body art. Money best invested in your IRA. What if....you become a hostage in an ISIS terrorist event. They will certainly love seeing a pentagram on a person and will no doubt have special treatment in mind. Improbable but possible we cannot know everything the future holds. This is a very violent unpredictable world we live in and it would be wise to remain unremarkable and off of the radar.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
User avatar
Shekinah
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:16 am
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Becks » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Good thing I'm not considering a career in Special Operations. ;) I'm special enough. I also have no plans to travel to unstable countries that don't like witches.
User avatar
Becks
 
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: Vancouver Island
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Kassandra » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Shekinah wrote:A tattoo for example tags your identity for anyone who might be targeting you and lights up in night-vision scopes. In combat or accidental trauma involving fire a tattoo will absorb flash heat to potentiate burn wounds. In diplomatic circles many otherwise seemingly benign art tattoos may be deemed extremely offensive to foreign observers and may well...get you killed...

Ouch. lol


Shekinah wrote:Also keep in mind the power of a Sigil when considering a tattoo. Is the concept imparted by a particular piece of art what you really want influencing your astral body, aura and health?

I've always been more concerned about this dimension of tatooes, more so than the employment/social/aesthetic aspects. I've always considered tatooes as portals of sorts, points of much unseen energetic activity, kinetic devices that can draw-in, manipulate, transmute, or exude certain energies which resonate with them. That's not always a good thing. It's better, I think, to do that with one's mind, that there's more control that way. I don't know.

I've also noted over the years as I've studied esoterica that it appears many symbols and sigils may not only symbolize what the wearer believes they are symbolizing, but may have other deeper layers of meaning that end up effecting unwanted metaphysical responses. In such instances, the wearer won't connect the result with the problem (symbol/sigil). For instance, what might be considered protective may in reality be making the individual more of an astral target by certain entities, egging them on, challenging them in a sense, etc.

Folks with tats, realize this conversation isn't meant to be insulting to you nor your body art, just throwing around some ideas for discussion, is all. As for me, I am already such a walking portal, I never wanted to bring yet more astral attention to myself, never got tats and never want to, lol. But that's just a reflection of my personal experiences.




.
:fairy: bling ~ Have a magical day, now ~

Ask Kassandra
Find Balance
Awaken
User avatar
Kassandra
EUTM Support
EUTM Support
 
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 pm
Location: Terra, Sol III, Milky Way Galaxy
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby SirisDerp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm former military and have to respectfully disagree on some points made. Tattoos are very much a social stigma and some turn their noses up at tattoos despite them existing in cultures around the world for centuries. A lot of cultures use tattoos to tell a story of their exploits and scare off the enemy. In the Marine Corps, which was founded within a bar, had no issues with tattoos until recently with the new order put into place by the past Commandant. This is very much a political move on his part to please the masses where society still scorns tattoos in a 'professional' setting. It's unfortunate this affects recruiting as the younger generation gets tattoos at such a young age where before it was rarer due to how closed society was about it. The rise in tattoos is a visual representation of society slowly opening itself up to not only culture but different ideas. This mind set about tattoos being unprofessional immediately alienates other cultures with their customs and, to be frank, outdated. In this world, as discouraging as it is, still hangs onto this idea that tattoos are to be discouraged and immediately associated to gangs. I dare say this stigmatism in America first stemmed from racism as well.

I don't believe discouraging others from getting tattoos because they can't get a high paying professional job is the way to go. I rather support others to get tattoos BUT be smart about it. Don't appropriate other cultures, make sure this is something you want on your body FOREVER, and its highly recommended to get it somewhere that can be easily covered up. Every job has their restrictions on such things. Generally any government job involving military, CIA, FBI, etc. can and will get you disqualified coming in as a civilian with no previous background in the area.
User avatar
SirisDerp
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 4:26 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Lady_Lilith » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:27 pm

Shekinah wrote:Not a problem for most people. Just forwarding a heads up for some. There are many occupations that will not consider anyone with a tattoo for some positions and the CIA screening guidelines do consider it a character defect.(Why? because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum) Today's military are having difficulty recruiting so they are much more lenient. Even so, in the military a tattoo is not wise in Special Operations or black programs where foreign intelligence may be tracking you. They serve no function beyond body art. It can be used to identify an individual and from a distance is an infrared and starlight signature. In burn wounds we often see deeper tissue damage throughout a tattoo.


Actually the CIA allows tattoos:
https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq

While working with a Dermatology practice I have removed a few with laser and it is expensive and traumatic and most always leaves residual scar evidence even when the newer erasable inks have been used. So why do it? vanity? to be one of the crowd? to make a statement? Of course folks are free to do with their body as they will. There are more negative then positive connotations to body art. Money best invested in your IRA. What if....you become a hostage in an ISIS terrorist event. They will certainly love seeing a pentagram on a person and will no doubt have special treatment in mind. Improbable but possible we cannot know everything the future holds.



Kidnapped by ISIS?! Really man???
"Often I will spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me. What am I?" -Sloth
User avatar
Lady_Lilith
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: 9th layer of the underworld
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby SnowCat » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:17 am

The possibility, however remote, exists of any one of us being kidnapped by almost anyone, at ant time. One of my tattoos serves as protection. So yes, tattoos have power. So do cross necklaces, hijack and turbans. I see all of those frequently. Fortunately, we all get along in my community. I love the diversity.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
User avatar
SnowCat
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5675
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 am
Location: The Spirals
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Shekinah » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:11 am

Lady_Lilith wrote:
Shekinah wrote:Not a problem for most people. Just forwarding a heads up for some. There are many occupations that will not consider anyone with a tattoo for some positions and the CIA screening guidelines do consider it a character defect.(Why? because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum) Today's military are having difficulty recruiting so they are much more lenient. Even so, in the military a tattoo is not wise in Special Operations or black programs where foreign intelligence may be tracking you. They serve no function beyond body art. It can be used to identify an individual and from a distance is an infrared and starlight signature. In burn wounds we often see deeper tissue damage throughout a tattoo.


Actually the CIA allows tattoos:
https://www.cia.gov/careers/faq

While working with a Dermatology practice I have removed a few with laser and it is expensive and traumatic and most always leaves residual scar evidence even when the newer erasable inks have been used. So why do it? vanity? to be one of the crowd? to make a statement? Of course folks are free to do with their body as they will. There are more negative then positive connotations to body art. Money best invested in your IRA. What if....you become a hostage in an ISIS terrorist event. They will certainly love seeing a pentagram on a person and will no doubt have special treatment in mind. Improbable but possible we cannot know everything the future holds.



Kidnapped by ISIS?! Really man???



NOTE I said "in some positions" The Agency has thousands of positions most administrative.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
User avatar
Shekinah
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:16 am
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby firebirdflys » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 am

Shekinah wrote:because that decision was highly influenced by social encouragement and a need for peer acceptance. You are less likely to dance to the beat of your own drum

I have to completely disagree with you on this point. Most folks I know with impressive intentional markings are doing it to empower themselves, and these people definitely are NOT followers but do dance to the rhythm of their own drum. They have not rushed out in a drunken blur to get tats with their messed up friends, but rather they are highly creative energetic and caring folks. It's irresponsible to make a blanket statement. One could have absolutely no idea what kind of a person gets a tattoo. Sure some are followers, but not all.
I don't disagree about it affecting your health, so that if anyone really desires to have a mark that will idenify you in life and in death to think long and hard about why you wish to get marked. Test a spot for alergic reactions, and use a reputable artist who uses an autoclave and does not re-use ink.
I feel some folks over react to tattoos, my mother being a great example. Siting I could be the tattooed lady in the circus with one tattoo that says "Love". :evil:
And what about all those great Navy men with the anchor? Or Marines with a bulldog or eagle? In fact when I was a child, seems the olny folks that were rough and tumble enough to get a tattoo were the ones in the military.
Bb, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
User avatar
firebirdflys
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 am
Location: So. Cal.
Gender: Female

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby Thitabe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:34 am

To put in my two cents, I grew up with my grandfather having many tattoos all over his chest and arms. He was a carrier naval officer. He was a naval pilot a flew off air craft carriers in the Pacific during WW II. He retired in 1962, the year I was born. I myself spent 22+ years in the Army. You may be amazed just how many service members have tattoos across all branches of service. I myself have 1 tattoo of the Eagle from the back of the U.S. Quarter before the ment went to the State Quarters. Under the Eagle it says U.S. Army.
Obviously I have no problem with tattoos, but I do believe for myself there should be meaning and a purpose for the tattoo. I would never get a tattoo just to get one. I don't want to ever regret or be embarrassed about what is permanently on my body/ temple.
Thitabe
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby WiccanWitch » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:05 am

Society is becoming slightly more accepting and progressive in regards to tattoos and piercings. My old job they were forbidden if they were visible. Now they allow them as long as there is nothing inappropriate like foul language, nudity, or swastikas. They also allow gauges as long as they're solid and small nose piercings, other facial piercings to a point. That's a major step for them.

I want to get the triple moon with a pentacle inside tattooed on my wrist. My fear is that I will meet ridicule for it as many still erroneously believe the pentacle is a devil worshiper symbol.
User avatar
WiccanWitch
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Re: Body art and Tattoo's

Postby bluejay_1919 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:27 pm

My husband and I have several tats. Mine cover both of my forearms. We waited till after we were married and have some spiritual experiences together before our first tattoos. All of ours mean alot to us and hold a special story for each. They are also beautiful pieces of art we carry around with us.

We get judged by prudes quite often and we don't care. The rude ones that just see tats n us and assume we're losers (or whatever they think) are close minded and have no idea what they mean to us. However, we run into way more people that love ours tats and want to know the stories behind them and compliment how gorgeous and we done they are.

My husband is a principal and it shocks many when they see him out of the work attire. At the school he runs, he must hide his tats. But on the weekend, he is himself.
User avatar
bluejay_1919
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 2:39 am

Next

Return to Artwork

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests