*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Beginner wanting to make own tools for altar.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Beginner wanting to make own tools for altar.

Postby intheflatfield » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:43 am

Hi all, as some of you will now I am a newbie when it comes to Wicca and would like to make my own tools to use. Does anyone have a tips or resources to set me on my way. I'd ideally like to have a wand, athame, cauldron, a small broom and something with a pentacle on.

Any tips would be great and suggestions for anything else I should have would be great.

Thanks in advance.
intheflatfield

Re: Beginner wanting to make own tools for altar.

Postby intheflatfield » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 am

Something very strange just happened. I was researching making my own wand and putting a clear quartz crystal in in it and I went to the shop and someone I was with looking at a magazine on the shelf. This turned out to be a magazine about precious rocks and had a quartz crystal stone included with the magazine. Coincidence?
intheflatfield

Postby SpiritTalker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm

I'd call it "shopping fairy" connection. :mrgreen:

For a wand: Go for a walk In a park, orchard or cemetery after a storm to find a recently fallen branch about as thick as your index finger, or what feels comfortable. Leave an offering of a couple pinches of corn meal (or a few strands of hair if you didn't plan ahead.) Dry the wood well in a warm place. Use a saw to trim it to the length of your elbow to finger tips (staffs can be as tall as you are.) Cut off any twigs as close to the surface as possible. You can leave the bark on or trim it off with a vegetable peeler or utility blade. Sand the surface with a coarse-grade of sand paper, then again with a fine-grade. Paint or use a wood-burning tool to add any design you planned. Dab with a small amount of beeswax, furniture polish, lemon oil, linseed oil or even olive oil & rub the oil in with a cloth to seal & protect the wood. Save the pieces & shavings to burn & use the ash for making a banishing black salt & charging assorted powders. Some people hollow the ends to hold crystals or pack with herbs & seal with wax.

I kept mine simple and smooth because I like to rub my hands over it. I've had my home-made wand, pentacle & athame for many, many (many) :roll: years. I feel very comfortable with them as old friend's.

If you want a live branch you must appeal to the tree's living spirit for permission and wait for the response. If you don't receive a "ok" then move on. Cut in a cold season at dusk/dawn so the sap is not running, or the tree will bleed; traditionally this might be done during the "Ember Days" between Yule (Dec. 21st) and Epiphany (Jan. 6th). Cut cleanly with a pruning saw. Bury an offering of corn meal amidst the roots.

Trees have different properties, like all plants. Choose the one that you like & can find & kudos when it chooses you!

I made my pentacle with a wooden disk from a hobby shop. If you do hand crafted hobbies you may have most of the supplies on hand. I used sand paper, wood stain gel & a foam brush, a wood burning tool, acrylic spray. Sand the wood. Draw the star with a ruler on the surface in light pencil (or you could print one on line and trace it with carbon paper); then retrace the design with the wood burning tool. Stain the wood very lightly to bring out the grain. Finish with an acrylic spray & don't forget to do the back.

An easier way is sand the disk & paint it a solid color with acrylic paint. Use a contrasting paint pen color for the design. A temporary pentacle can be made by filling a saucer with salt & tracing a star in the salt with a finger. Or find a river smoothed, round stone &' paint the star on it. Or decorate a thrift store ceramic, Pyrex glass or Corelle plate. Paint is permanent. Liquid chalk markers can be used to decorate the plate with magical symbols that easily wash off. Or use a permanent marker to make the design & bake the plate at 350' for 20-30 minutes, then turn off heat & allow the oven to cool before handling the plate. This will set the ink & it will last a pretty long time. For god sake don't bake plastic! :shock:

I bought an inexpensive, double-edged blade for my athame. It fit my hand well & is a good weight & length for me. Then I wood burned my name sigil on the handle. Sporting goods stores are likely sources. My travel blade is an office supply, bejeweled letter opener...can't carry an open knife y'know.

Give thought to how you'll actually use a cauldron & visualize yourself using it. & handle your kitchen pots for a size estimate. I find that a one quart size fits my needs as an out door fire-pot, which is mostly how I use it. I got it from a camping goods store for less than a teeny 3" one on-line, and bonus! It was already seasoned. The handle is needed to carry the thing when hot. A lid is needed to smother the fire & 1-quart lid was easily found at a thrift shop. I use plain sauce pans and a tea pot to brew. It's not something I do a lot of.

There are broom making youtube videos. Standard sweeping-size Corn brooms are available in hardware and home goods stores. Use paint pens to decorate the handle; add colored cords, herb sprigs, bells & beaded charms at the join. A whisk broom can likewise be decorated & serves well. Hobby shops sell beads & charms in jewelry making supplies. Any twigs can be bound together for a hand held whisk for sweeping energy. Again, give thought to how you see yourself using it to decide.
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Postby Ashrend » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:05 am

For the wand like the previous person said its good to try and find a stick or branch after a storm, it can charge it so it has particular strength. However it has to feel right for you, I bought the wood online because I knew what type of wood I wanted but couldn't find it wild, and once it arrives it felt right. I have also made a staff from a branch I found on a walk which I was pulled to. There are dozens of ways you can decorate and carve it , that's up to you. As for a athame you can either just buy it same with your cauldron, or you can make it depending on your resources. A simple way to make one would be to. It a knife with a blade you like, then find some wood to make your own handle. A broom again you could easily make with straw and a branch you find and pentacles are more common than money XD you can buy one you like the look of online and cleanse it once it arrives
Ashrend

Postby intheflatfield » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:24 am

SpiritTalker wrote:I'd call it "shopping fairy" connection. :mrgreen:

For a wand: Go for a walk In a park, orchard or cemetery after a storm to find a recently fallen branch about as thick as your index finger, or what feels comfortable. Leave an offering of a couple pinches of corn meal (or a few strands of hair if you didn't plan ahead.) Dry the wood well in a warm place. Use a saw to trim it to the length of your elbow to finger tips (staffs can be as tall as you are.) Cut off any twigs as close to the surface as possible. You can leave the bark on or trim it off with a vegetable peeler or utility blade. Sand the surface with a coarse-grade of sand paper, then again with a fine-grade. Paint oodles a wood-burning tool to add any design you planned. Dab with a small amount of beeswax, furniture polish, lemon oil, linseed oil or even olive oil & rub the oil in with a cloth to seal & protect the wood. Save the pieces & shavings to burn & use the ash for making a banishing black salt & charging assorted powders. Some people hollow the ends to hold crystals or pack with herbs & seal with wax.

I kept mine simple and smooth because I like to rub my hands over it. I've had my home-made wand, pentacle & athame for many, many (many) :roll: years. I feel very comfortable with them as old friend's.

If you want a live branch you must appeal to the tree's living spirit for permission and wait for the response. If you don't receive a "ok" then move on. Cut in a cold season at dusk/dawn so the sap is not running, or the tree will bleed; traditionally this might be done during the "Ember Days" between Yule (Dec. 21st) and Epiphany (Jan. 6th). Cut cleanly with a pruning saw. Bury an offering of corn meal amidst the roots.

Trees have different properties, like all plants. Choose the one that you like & can find & kudos when it chooses you!

I made my pentacle with a wooden disk from a hobby shop. If you do hand crafted hobbies you may have most of the supplies on hand. I used sand paper, wood stain gel & a foam brush, a wood burning tool, acrylic spray. Sand the wood. Draw the star with a ruler on the surface in light pencil (or you could print one on line and trace it with carbon paper); then retrace the design with the wood burning tool. Stain the wood very lightly to bring out the grain. Finish with an acrylic spray & don't forget to do the back.

An easier way is sand the disk & paint it a solid color with acrylic paint. Use a contrasting paint pen color for the design. A temporary pentacle can be made by filling a saucer with salt & tracing a star in the salt with a finger. Or find a river smoothed, round stone &' paint the star on it. Or decorate a thrift store ceramic, Pyrex glass or Corelle plate. Paint is permanent. Liquid chalk markers can be used to decorate the plate with magical symbols that easily wash off. Or use a permanent marker to make the design & bake the plate at 350' for 20-30 minutes, then turn off heat & allow the oven to cool before handling the plate. This will set the ink & it will last a pretty long time. For god sake don't bake plastic! :shock:

I bought an inexpensive, double-edged blade for my athame. It fit my hand well & is a good weight & length for me. Then I wood burned my name sigil on the handle. Sporting goods stores are likely sources. My travel blade is an office supply, bejeweled letter opener...can't carry an open knife y'know.

Give thought to how you'll actually use a cauldron & visualize yourself using it. & handle your kitchen pots for a size estimate. I find that a one quart size fits my needs as an out door fire-pot, which is mostly how I use it. I got it from a camping goods store for less than a teeny 3" one on-line, and bonus! It was already seasoned. The handle is needed to carry the thing when hot. A lid is needed to smother the fire & 1-quart lid was easily found at a thrift shop. I use plain sauce pans and a tea pot to brew. It's not something I do a lot of.

There are broom making youtube videos. Standard sweeping-size Corn brooms are available in hardware and home goods stores. Use paint pens to decorate the handle; add colored cords, herb sprigs, bells & beaded charms at the join. A whisk broom can likewise be decorated & serves well. Hobby shops sell beads & charms in jewelry making supplies. Any twigs can be bound together for a hand held whisk for sweeping energy. Again, give thought to how you see yourself using it to decide.

Thanks you so much. A wonderful and detailed answer that has really helped me. Blessed be.
intheflatfield

Postby intheflatfield » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:25 am

Ashrend wrote:For the wand like the previous person said its good to try and find a stick or branch after a storm, it can charge it so it has particular strength. However it has to feel right for you, I bought the wood online because I knew what type of wood I wanted but couldn't find it wild, and once it arrives it felt right. I have also made a staff from a branch I found on a walk which I was pulled to. There are dozens of ways you can decorate and carve it , that's up to you. As for a athame you can either just buy it same with your cauldron, or you can make it depending on your resources. A simple way to make one would be to. It a knife with a blade you like, then find some wood to make your own handle. A broom again you could easily make with straw and a branch you find and pentacles are more common than money XD you can buy one you like the look of online and cleanse it once it arrives

Thank you for taking the time to share you advice. That is most helpful and helps me on my way.
intheflatfield

Postby Ashrend » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 am

Any time ^_^
Ashrend

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick