*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Architecture, desighn, hope this is in the right place

Member's writings, poetry, ramblings, etc.

Postby Kay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

Hi I am new
and a design student

I am currently designing a 'contemporary place of worship' it's purpose is to work similarly to this forum. As a place where pagans (broad term) that pagans can explore there believes and interact as a community. The design is in the development stage.

I would like to know:

If you could make a place to worship (again a broad term), what would it be made of? And why?

Thank you and cannot wait to talk to people :D :flyingwitch:
Kay

Re: Architecture, desighn, hope this is in the right place

Postby Kay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:58 am

P.s. It can be abstract
Kay

Postby Becks » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Fascinating question! I love to think about design and space and personally I really happen to like it when architecture fits in with the landscape and the community of people that will come to use the building.

From the inside out....and practical use I would think it would be important to have a place to gather.....in terms of a focal point is it important to have a fire? I like the idea of a a fire or hearth. I also think I would like a space to be comfortable and cyclic as opposed to the top-down like conventional churches that orient people to the altar or pulpit....though altar spaces for focus, contemplation and reflection are important. In my dream community space a kitchen would be another really important place. Not just for feeling a congregation, but people who need it. In my space my kitchen is the heart and a lot of my work is done there.

Is the space accessible and friendly for children? Are there things that they enjoy within their reach? Do they share in the art and culture that binds the space? Many buildings are adult centric.

My dream would need to be accessible for people of all abilities.

So, in terms of the overall aesthetic I am inspired by landscape and I think materials and architectural elements should be locally sourced where possible. This is good evpnvironmental practice and it is aesthetically pleasing.

I would like a space to be environmentally friendly and sustainable because this is an earth based practice. To do otherwise would seem a poor fit to me.

I live on the west coast of Canada and so I would like to see lots of exposed wood, glass letting the outside in, and natural granite or inventive river stone flowing creations. I would love a palate of colour in decor that is taken from beach rocks...you'd be amazed at what there is in terms of colour. Greys, blues, brown, sand colours right down to warm reds and purples....it's truly inspiring.

I would also like to see the local First Nations tradition honoured as this is their territorial land and respect must be given.

I guess it descends very much on what the land has to say.
Becks

Postby Kay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Thankyou, its in Chichester a town in the south of England I like the idea of Granit as flint is really popular locally and they would compliment each other.

Its a community centre dedicated to all pagans and there ideals
Kay

Postby Becks » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Oh that would be beautiful.
Becks

Postby Kay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Oh I forgot to add that flint is found locally, within the land, when farmers plough there fields
Kay

Postby samarrin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:11 pm

it would be super amazing if (think of it as a smaller community) members of the community could have their own small, lockable, room for their altar and tools, like a private space for magical workings. if money was an issue they could have a small rent for the room and the place of worship could use it as a fundraising technique. it would also be awesome if there were larger spaces where whole covens/groups could study and work/ preform rituals together.
(yes i know this isn't what you were asking, sorry, but it would be amazing if it had lost of skylights too, or a large one over the main portion of the building)
OKAY i am going overboard sorry.

I too am a design student and this idea has been on my mind for a while, i wish you the best of luck!
samarrin

Return to The Creative Corner