*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Antler uses

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Antler uses

Postby Ashrend » Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 am

Hi, I have bought a large antler today, couldn't help myself I was so drawn to it that the rest of the world kinda faded away. It's got some great curves and textures, but what I wanted to ask was what could I use it for? I know I could choose it up and make wands, athames, runes or even just placed on my alter but I can't think of what else I could use. I don't want to waste any of it but I don't want to spend hours chopping it up into useless small pieces for nothing. Any ideas on uses?
Ashrend

Re: Antler uses

Postby Ashrend » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am

This is the antler, I'm not sure I want to cut it up now. I'm feeling a stronger and stronger connection to it, I want it as my new wand now so I'll be thinking about what to attach to it and how without compromising the boneImage
Ashrend

Postby firebirdflys » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Oh my, that's lovely. :D
I wouldn't cut it up, it could be used on the altar as a representative of the horned God. Or maybe attached atop a stave (staff). Where did you get it? Maybe they have smaller scraps if you want to cut some up?. I have some really cool buttons made out of antler that were rather spendy, can't help but think if I had the tools to make my own, I would have bunches! We have a vendor at a local pow wow that sells scrap and whole antlers, someday I'll score a nicely matched pair to make a head dress with.
Bb, Firebird
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby Ashrend » Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I saw a pair of antlers today that I was tempted to buy but got the one large one instead. I found this one at a local market. It's a bit too large and spindles to put in a staff not to mention it would constantly snap under its own weight. I'm just going to make it a large wand of sorts, it's points are amazing for drawing energy from the earth as well as pointing where I need it to go. My main difficulty is going to be how to decorate it, I know I can wrap it up in things , give it a nice grip and attach feathers. Need to find some crystals with holes drilled into them
Ashrend

Postby corvidus » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

You could make an altar to the Horned God, or to Cernunnos.

Or to the spirit of the animal (deer).
corvidus

Postby Corbin » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 am

I have seen many antler handled athames but always wanted an antler athame (not handled, the whole shebang), antler forming some of the oldest tools beyond simple stone (in certain locations and peoples - hunter/gatherers - probably was more common them stone).

Having found my antler, I therefore chose to cut it on its lowest tine - two cuts, away from in body and seperating the tine (if you choose so, use a dust mask and ventilation - the particles are nasty), wet and dry polish the end and tip (kept the natural staining), cap with a spiral (actually an ornate button). The leather thong was added as a descriptor - rather then as any kind of really functional handle.

I similarly treated the rest of the antler and occasionally use it for altar display (honouring a persona of the horned god; Gwyn ap Nudd). I could have mounted it on a staff however my stave is a wooden stang, it would not fit and I don't want to mix materials for elements in this way (Stave=fire, Sword=air system).

(Can't upload the images - follow the LINKs alice)

Https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fgUZMh ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qRYqdc ... p=drivesdk
Corbin

Postby Ashrend » Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am

Interesting, I have thought about a fully antler anthame as I don't have one yet. Maybe il buy another antler for that use
Ashrend

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick