*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

Altars Decorations?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.

Altars Decorations?

Postby EveningJade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 pm

I just moved to another house in the same town and so I thought that now that I have enough room and a desk that I'm not using for anything, I thought I'd make an altar in my home as my first step to beginning to work magick. However, I don't have an athame and I'm aware subtitutes can be used. Basically, all I have is a white sheet to put over my desk, a few stones that I've collected that I feel fit me, candles, a goddess symbol, and I'm still searching for a pretty cup to symbolize water and a feather for air.

However, I want to make my altar unique. Something that I'm proud of. Lately, I've been interested in Japanese designs for the altar the symbols of nekos.

Anyways, basically, does anyone have any pointers about making altars or things I can substitute for ritual tools? Basically, I just want some suggestions and ideas as to how I can set up my first altar. I don't really have a matron goddess or a patron god. I'm still researching what I feel connected to and so far, I like Pan, Hera, and Freya. But as to who I want as my matron, I don't know. So I'm sticking with the goddess symbol. If anyone has pointers about choosing your matrons and patrons, please let me know as well.
EveningJade

Re: Altars Decorations?

Postby Isabella » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Well for the athame I usually just use a regular kitchen knife from my mom's knife drawer. And just put what ever feels write on your altar. Theres no wrong way. Your altar should express who you are. Like sice im a cook and artist i use a paint brush or wooden cooking spoon for my wand because it describes me. Hope this helps!
Peace and Pasta!~
Isabella

Postby MsMollimizz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:17 pm

EveningJade,
You could always check the second hand stores and yard sales for a colorful alter cloth...
I found a shimmery blue wrap-around skirt with gold elephants around the bottom.
Blue is Isis' favorite color, and I collect elephants. I've got one of those plastic shoe boxes
and it's full of alter cloths materials. Found my candle sticks, earth and water bowls, at the
second hand store and what a find !!! Tea lite holders and flowers from the dollar store
I cannot use real flowers, my cat would get up there and eat them ::darkmood::
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq10 ... talter.jpg

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
MsMollimizz

Postby SpiritTalker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:32 am

I like the contrast of mixing clear glass bowls with things found in Nature - driftwood, shells, acorns, pine cones, a vase of flowers &' leafy twigs, interesting stones; colors associated with each element; & repurpose household items (cup, blade, bowl, plate) & any kind of candle & holder; use moon seasonal fabric prints for the cloth. You can use a box or stack a book or 2 & cover it with the cloth to add elevation towards the back.

How you use the altar suggests the items you'd put on it. A magical altar shapes energy for spells so would have representations of the elements & deity. We can add seasonal decorations. A devotional altar would have representations of deities or guardian, ancestors & possibly offerings.

Elements - Tools - Symbols
.Air - incense/holder inspires mood; Wand invites, represents the God; or yellow, aerosols, fan; marjoram, mint, sage
.Fire - candles/holders; athame commands, represents God; or red, matches, volcanic obsidian; bay, basil, rosemary.
Note: Wicca is always practical & we can substitute symbolic battery candles if needed.
.Water - Chalice, cauldron for libations/charge potions, reps Goddess; or blue, broom,shells,mirror; lemon,rose.thyme
.Earth - Pentacle-plate for offerings, charge spells; Mortar & Pestle rep. Goddess & God; or green, grains, stones; salt.
.Aether - anointing oil, seasonal altar cloth; represent astral link; or purple; angelica root, dandelion root, clove
SpiritTalker
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Return to General Questions about Wicca & Magick